Sunday, October 16, 2011

Great Bounty

When we started our garden 2 years ago, my goal was to eventually be able to make Chili Sauce (a Labrum Family favorite) without having to buy anything. This year, I was able to do that! 16 tomato plants, that have produced, produced, produced, produced. half a 8 x 4 garden box full of full size onions! Awesome!!! So fun to say "hey Kenz, go out and get an onion." And 1 finally successful green pepper planted basking in the cover of a tomato plant. It only gave us 2 of the 5 needed peppers, but it actually grew fruit, that was nice and big and thick!!!

We have been so blessed, by our garden, and the gardens of others. This year I have 15 pints of Chili Sauce, 15+ Quarts of tomatoes and 13 pints of Raspberry Peach jelly, and I am not done. I have at 7 quarts worth of tomatoes still to do, pears that are waiting to ripen for Raspberry Pear jam, and Pear Sauce.

I have fond memories of canning with my mom and my Grandma J. I so appreciate them letting me help, and teaching me their talents and skills. I hope to pass it on to my one children. Cutter already loves help. He has become a pretty good tomato skinner, and squisher. He even got to go to the neighbors, and help her. He loved it.

1 comment:

  1. Canning with mom is the best! I would love to get your jelly recipes :)

    ReplyDelete